Friday, January 22, 2010

Weird...I thought this was a gaming blog?

Well it is, but in all honesty I haven't really been gaming that much, I mean in a sense of playing lots of games.  Hence the big posts about movies since I pretty much only play Modern Warfare 2 these days.  It's a funny story...(if this were like Scrubs it would probably cut to a dream or flashback sequence but, it's just a crappy blog so...)  Actually it's not, basically I had boycott the game, not because of all the dedicated server BS that went down, but pretty much because my history of first person shooters growing up has been strictly PC.  Now I played shooters on consoles, but I never could fully get the grip of them, I just work better with a mouse and keyboard.  For a long while the only shooters I played were Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2.  Oh, and that dreaded Counter-Strike.

I played the SHIT out of Counter-Strike let me tell you.  I was never anywhere near OGL standards or anything, but I could hold my own.  I got pretty damn good at Scout no-scopes which was always fun.  But I loved CS, I played almost every night with friends.  For a long time I barely touched other genres of games, esp when HL2 came out with, followed by the awesome-ness of the Orange Box.  Thinking back to my days in college playing CS, it's just funny.  Since those were the days when I had little money being a college kid with no money for anything but food and probably DVD's but not high quality gaming headsets, I had a crappy pair of regular walkman style head phones and what I liked to refer to as a "pencil-dick mic"  and I would have to lean all in and speak directly into so teammates could hear me.  My roommate and suitemates would always ask what I was shouting about or who I was talking to.  Now I have a great Logitech headset that I don't think I could live without.  Anyway, we got off topic there, so yea, I played a lot of CS, got pretty good, and quit as I do when most things get boring.  The influx of cocky, brash 12 year old kids and ratio of people with mics grew, and I got tired of being pissed on and shit talked by some kid who goes to bed at 9PM.  I moved on and played a TON of RPG's, a good deal of Blizzard games, finally settling into World Of Warcraft for a solid 4 years.  And as I said above, I got pretty good, and got bored again. 

When this new game came out that people were blown away about (COD4:MW) I was in a TF2 phase and didn't care much for Modern Warfare.  I never touched the first one at all, my brother gave me his copy, but since it was his I couldn't always go online or whatever with it.  When the second one was announced, I figured I'm steering clear.  I had put in my time with military shooters and was happy with my RPGs and 360 games.  So game comes out, I don't get it, life goes on.  My gaming world didn't come to a halt or anything, I played Borderlands and was perfectly happy...until New Years.

We head over to the greatest EVE player in the world's house (I had a submission for fun, but I couldn't find the legendary DEERBIRD 4 LYFE picture to edit, I will find it dammit) and he had gotten it for the holidays.  Before the major drinking and fun began we were watching him play, and I got lost in the game.  The next day we sat around recovering for a bit and passed the controller around and each took a turn playing.  To say I fell in love with the game is sorta an understatement, because even though I got destroyed my first time playing, the next day when we left, after a 1h45m drive home, I rushed to Target(sold out) and Best Buy (1 copy on shelf) to get it before they closed and proceeded to play til like 1-2AM.  The game is amazing.

Now this is commonplace to most people who played the first one, but since I never touched it, I was blown away.  The way they incorporated slight RPG elements into a primarily FPS game works wonderful.  The addicting grasp of multi-player fun has just hooked and reeled me in once again.  As it stands, I'm decent at the game.  At the end of most matches, I've sucked and come in last but I don't even give a shit about scores or leaderboards or any of that.  What I love is just the thrill of playing, getting that game winning kill, calling in a Predator missile, or just working with my team to win the match.  Yea, it's awesome and I feel good when I come out with a positive kill-death ratio, but for me, it's just the thrill of the game.  And isn't that what it should be about?  To most, probably not, to most it probably is all about the leader-boards but whatever.

In short, but not really because my posts are never short, I've been playing and will be playing MW2 for the next few weeks.  Mass Effect 2 comes out next week, which I am really looking forward to, but don't plan on picking up right away...maybe.  As it stand ME2 comes out on the 26th, I have yet to beat the first one because I have gaming ADD.  Two weeks later on 2/9 Bioshock 2 comes out.  I'm really excited for BS2 and don't want to pick up Mass Effect 2, only play it fleetingly between MW2 rounds, and then move to Bioshock without giving it the proper time frame to play.  If I can burn through Mass Effect in the next few days, maybe, just maybe I'll pick up a copy. 

For now, Modern Warfare 2, my heart belongs to you and only you.

Thanks for reading!
 - Nerdsbeware Out

1 comment:

  1. Yea, I too am pretty surprised at how addicted I have gotten to MW2. I've never been much for multiplayer shooters... Halo 3, Counter-Strike, TF2, etc... I played them and enjoyed them but only for short spurts at a time. MW2 on the other hand is just so well done when it comes to the gameplay... the level of customization and the way that you level up your gear and account make it feel more like a RPG than a shooter half the time. Even with the issues with parties, servers, weird lag and cheapass fucks who run around knifing, it is still fun as hell.

    P.S. I don't know where to find the deerbird 4 life pic. Stupid Geocities shut down a while back and I had tons of pics and stuff from like 10 years ago stored on my Geocities site.

    ReplyDelete