Thursday, April 15, 2010

PAX East 2010

Like my friend over at Eve Newb, I started this post numerous times but just didn't have the will power to get through writing out a post to the crappy standards of my other posts.  I went to write it numerous times and would just start and stop, get distracted by Plants Vs. Zombies, or start work on my first campaign for Dungeons & Dragons.  Either way, short and sweet bullet points of PAX East 2010!

- THE PROTOMEN.  The concert on Friday night was amazing.  Their live show brings so much more energy than any of the CD's could do.  Sounded even better live, if you don't know who the Protomen are you suck...just kidding, please please PLEASE check them out and support them!  The are a "Mega-Man themed rock opera" IE they don't do covers of Mega Man songs, but instead have created two concept albums set in the world of Mega Man.  GO HERE NOW.

- An Evening With Scott Kurtz:  This was just plain awesome.  He was the last panel of the night, showed up somewhat drunk and talked for almost 2 hours.  I love Kurtz ever since I first listened to the PA D&D podcasts, and have been a fan of PvP for a while now. After that seeing his first panel at PAX Prime I knew I had to see this one, he is one funny dude.  I loved every minute of it.

- The PAX East Musical Guest Panel.  Once again I went to go see the Protomen as I heard they rarely break character for interviews and they didn't let me down.  Most of them came dressed up and in their "not face paint, but robot forms."  The guys from Anamanguchi were really funny too as was the rest of the panel.

- The Penny Arcade Q&A Panels. These are always fun for the crazy shit Gabe and Tycho talk about and how they answer questions.  This time was no different.  The arm wrestling match between the two was exceptionally hilarious.

- The Omegathon Final Round. A relay race of old school Nintendo games.  First Super Mario Brothers, followed by Rad Racer, Tetris and finally Contra.  It was pretty badass...if the games didn't crash a few times!

- GAMES. I saw a TON of really cool games on the show floor, but not actual on disc games that truly impressed me.  This time around the focus was clearly on DLC and XBLA games.  Shank looked exceptionally awesome which I heard about at PAX Prime. Monday Night Combat was to be checked out as commanded by our ruler Tycho, and I got to see the new Behemoth game, Battleblock Theater.  And we picked up a new card game called Fluxx, that is just simple fun as shit.  Oh also Shootin' Ladders is god damn amazing. 

Over all a great time.  The hall seemed smaller this time around and the expo floor lacked the big name games that PAX Prime usually brings.  I chalk that up to E3 being right around the corner and that the summer isn't usually the games season so nothing big is coming out.  They already said that next year will be in a bigger place so hopefully we can expect much much more stuff.  I loved it and already can't wait for next year.

Catch you on the flip side,
            - Nerdsbeware out

No comments:

Post a Comment