Tuesday, November 17, 2009

MGS

It's something that seems to plague most gamers, on a daily basis it lays claim to so many without warning.  It is Multiple Gaming Syndrome.  Maybe you have it?  Maybe someone you know has it?  I am here today, to come to terms, be open, and let all of you know that, I, Nerdsbeware suffer from MGS.  Think of MGS like this scenario:

You are placed in an empty room except for a large 55in HD-TV, nice comfy couch, snacks, fridge full of drinks (whatever kind you desire for purposes of this experiment) and unlimited high speed internet. Next to the TV is entertainment stand containing a Wii, Xbox 360, PS3.  Next to the couch is a DS or PSP(your choice).   Behind the couch is a desk with a top of the line gaming PC.  On the desk is a book with all the newest, top rated, games for all the platforms.  You are instructed to pick 10 games for whatever you want.  You are given all the games at once.  You get yourself set for a nice long gaming session and a voice comes over a loud speaker letting you know that you only have 6-8 hours before the console systems go on lockdown, the internet is cut, and the batteries on the portable devices die (this is all hypothetical but).
What do you do!  You go into a panic trying to decide what games come first, which has the most priority, which games are casual or hardcore.  What can be beat in an hour, what might require more time?  Yea sure you can pick the best game out of the 10 and just play it and enjoy it, but what about all those other great games?  Its a terrible situation to have to live with.

Thats how I am most of the week.  Now I'm exaggerating obviously here.  It's not really a tough decision to make when you have a couple of games to play, it's just a matter of balancing time to get to all of them.  But there does seem to be some sort of ranking that comes into play when deciding what  games to play on a daily basis.  I have two games that I am decently "hardcore" into right now, a few casual games that I play when I am bored, and one or two that are always fun to just throw in and play.  I break it down like this.  First comes World Of Warcraft.  It's sad that it is on the top of my list (granted it's value has dropped greatly and as much as I joined back up, I am ready to quit again), but the only reason it is right now, is because of the $15 a month I pay for it.  I feel like its wasted money if I don't log on, run a lap around Dalaran, sell some shit, get kicked out of a raid because theres to many DPS and then log off.  All these reasons are why I should just cancel my account and wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic, but I wont for some reason...

My  time is now pretty much being split (sorta..more like 70/30) between Borderlands and Dragon Age: Origins.  Borderlands if you didn't know is a great RPG-Shooter made by Gearbox Studios.  For all you people who loved the loot hunting, quest gathering fun of Diablo II, this game offers that up but in a new style.  The game can be played single player or multi, but honestly the difficulty scaling in single player is so low that it's to easy.  Plus the game was built to be played by you and three other friends, so why not take advantage of that?  You play as one of four classes set forth to go find a mysterious Vault filled with treasures and sikk weapons.  All we found was that if you happen to crash during the final cutscene, you'll never see the final boss nor the PHAT LOOTZ that dropped.  The game is addictive fun making you want to go back to the same zones just to light a midget on fire or drive your car off a cliff for fun.  The classes are simple enough, to understand and each is fun in their own way.  Right now I am playing a Siren which kicks ass, and I plan to start a Berserker soon since we are in stasis since our Roland was the victim of the crash mentioned above and we don't want to get to far ahead of him in Playthrough 2.  For a better, more in depth review, check out Spectre's review here, since my post already run long enough...

As mentioned above, the other game I dove head first into was Dragon Age: Origins.  A new fantasy single player RPG developed by Bioware (makers of great games such as Baulder's Gate, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series, Mass Effect series and countless other great RPG games).  You play as one of three races (dwarf, human, elf ) and either a mage, warrior or rogue.  Each class/race class combo has their onw "origin" story that serves as the intro to the game and with each class getting four different specialization trees (you get to pick one at level 7, and another at level 14) there is a ton of ways to play this game.  I'm really green in the game so the story is still forming but you are set out to join a group of combatants called the Grey Wardens, set with the task of hunting and killing Darkspawn (the enemies in the game).  Again I am keeping this really short and simple because the game is huge, and there is a lot going on and I just don't have the time to really go into huge detail about it.  Either way, the game plays like the Knights or Mass Effect games, but with a few new tweaks that really make these type of party based group games fun and effective. Since WoW is a sinking ship in the ocean of games I want to play, I was thinking of changing my WoW blog over either a Borderlands blog or Dragon Age blog.  Any thoughts?

Aside from those two games that I am totally loving right now, today was a huge day for gaming.  Assassins Creed 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Left 4 Dead 2 all dropped.  So once again, here I sit in that open room with just mere hours to choose what to play...My name is Nerdsbeware, and I suffer from MGS.

4 comments:

  1. I fucking stayed up last night to play L4D2 because they said it was going to be unlocked at 12 AM EST. At 1 AM I finally went to sleep and it still wasn't fucking uncloaked. Hit me up later tonight if you want to play some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I probably won't be grabbing it until at least next weekened when I get paid again. I have my rent/cable/kohl's/credit card bills all due at the start of next week so for now, its Borderlands and DAO

    Server stability any better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both games I played last night were on a locally hosted server but it seemed to be running pretty well. I used to get weird crashes in L4D1 but I didn't see any of that in 2 yet.

    Speaking of Borderlands, are we going to start another playthrough with new characters or are we going to wait for them to fix that stupid bug for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm down for new chars all the way. I just finished all the quests(at least I think all the quests) on my Siren the other night and capped out at 38 but yea I'm up for a Solider or Brick

    ReplyDelete