Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Have No Class: The Main

Alright back to the games...well back to the game.  I still cannot fathom how much of a hold Modern Warfare 2 has over me.  Yes, yes I know I pretty much say that in every post, but it's only because it's 100% true.  When I started playing Mass Effect 2 I took a nice hiatus (right around level 32 in MW2), but soon as I crushed out that final mission,  I was right back in the rough of it.  I'm now almost level 50, and really hitting my stride in the game.  Some games I walk away amazed at how well I did, others I'm just trash.  I guess it depends who is on the other side of that red dot.  The thrill of the game is still there for me and I am sure in a few months from now I'll be able to put down the controller and walk away but for now, this is just as addictive as WoW was for me.  The point of this post is really for you other fellow MW2 die-hards, or even if you aren't maybe this will change your mind about playing.

I'm a big RPG player, and since MW2 does a fair job of joining a first person shooter with RPG elements, it was only natural that I ended up using "class-based" naming schemes for my custom classes. First of which, naturally, is my main.  My main changes from game to game usually, it's the one class that I switch stuff in and out of the most depending on the map and how I am doing.  It's my good all purpose "I want to win" build.
 Since I don't want to have to link every weapon 10 times in the post, this is a great site reference when reading these posts: http://www.themodernwarfare2.com/

The Main
Primary Weapon: On my main I use an assault rifle (generally the M16/SCAR, but lately I have been loving the TAR-21) but really, any assault will do due to their high rate of fire, generally good accuracy and a decent damage output.  If you are more of a sharp shooter player, stick with the FAL, FAMAS and ACR.    For a more run and gun scenario M4A, M16, F2000.  The latter of the bunch being higher fire rates while still doing significant damage, and the first set having the highest accuracy, but lower than average damage. While they might hurt your mobility a slight bit, in general AR's make for a great all-purpose weapon. 
Attachment: I personally love sights since I'm not really a good hip fire player.  Especially for a gun like the TAR-21 that has low accuracy, they help. Otherwise for something like SCAR, FAL or ACR, FMJ works due to their lowered damage.  In general I stay away from the grenade launcher unless I want to unlock the shotgun attachment.  While heartbeat senors are alright, personally they aren't always reliable in cases where you are running or aiming with your stock sight.  When it doubt, sights are always a good choice.

Secondary Weapon: For the main, I tend to stick with a handgun as my side arm.  It's reliable, plain and simple.  I tend to stray away from the Magnum, and while is damage is decent, it's accuracy and magazine size are not as sure fire as a USP.   
Attachment:  I don't use my side arm that much, opting for a knife kill in most close cases, but FMJ is always a good choice when using the USP/M9 due to their lower damage ranges, or even with the Magnum/Desert Eagle to just give it that little bit of extra kick.  Again more damage is never a bad choice.  If all else fails, Tact Knife it.

Equipment: Throwing knife.  I love it.  I'm not very good with it yet, but I love it.  The knife takes a bit getting used to as you can either hip throw, or take a bit to hold and aim.  On a level like Estate when we hold the house, nothing is better than sitting above the hot tub room, waiting for someone to come over the railing to meet a knife in the face.  Otherwise, explosives are always great fall backs.  I sway towards claymores, but a well placed Frag or Semtex does the job.

Perk 1: Sleight Of Hand Pro.  90% of the time I use this, but it varies between this and Scavenger Pro.  It can never hurt to aim faster, or have 2-3 claymores set up in your crow's nest.
Perk 2: Hardline Pro.  Like I said, this is my I want to win the match class, with hardline, that make it that much faster.  Kill's come easier with AR's for me, so what better way to get more kills than calling in my Kill Streaks sooner.  Stopping Power is good to for guns whose damage is less than optimal, while if you are running with the grenade launcher and/ or frags, Danger Close works just as well.
Perk 3: Command Pro.  I like it just because when in doubt, pull out your knife.
Death Streak: Final Stand.  Why not?  A chance to get back up and fight some more, yes please.

For the most part, I end up with a good K:D ratio when using my main, and in cases where I might be playing another class and sucking, I can always switch back and pick up my score again.  Like I said, this class is reliable.  It's a good middle of the ground, new to the game build due to its all around average stats.  Substitute and change based on your level, or even try a different weapon when one gets stale.  I was using the M16 for a long time, but once I started doing not so well with it, switched to the TAR-21, and was sitting right back up at the top.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the next installment of my Modern Warfare 2 in depth class reviews, The Tank.

Thanks for reading,
Nerdsbeware out-

4 comments:

  1. It's actually "sleight" of hand I think, not "slight". I used to use that a lot too and I still do sometimes for my SMG kits but in general I've just become too addicted to Scavenger. Never having to worry about running out of ammo in your SCAR or launchers and being able to pop out multiple claymores is just too awesome to not have at all times.

    TAR-21 is a pretty cool gun but it's tough to justify using over the SCAR considering it has shittier aim and the red-dot sight fucking sucks on it. M16 and SCAR are awesome though... def my favorite assault rifles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corrections noted and changed, I think I just missed hitting the "e", thanks.

    But yea I was ONLY using the SCAR, and while I was doing great with it for a while, I like lost my ability to use the gun correctly some how. At one point where I could hip-fire or catch someone with my ACOG from across the map, I could barely hit standing in front of me. I switched back over to the M4A, and started doing awesome.

    I hit my main stride with the M16, but fell into the same trap, and soon as I switched guns, I did better (which was the TAR-21). It's aim is crap but I can still wreck with it, and it's fire rate is pretty nice. Every now and then a change is good.

    Only gun I can't use is the FAL. Mainly because to me, it's super accurate long range pistol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Spec: http://cheezcomixed.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/grammarnazi.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright that's enough out of you and that damn site...

    ReplyDelete